I have a new hobby. Growing wheatgrass. I know, I know, my new hobby could not possibly be more nerdy but I don’t care, I find it really fun and interesting.
I have a couple of friends who recently told me about the amazing health benefits of wheatgrass. They grow their own and after I started doing some of my own research I knew I had to try it.
Wheatgrass is essentially the perfect food. Wheatgrass juice is one of the best sources of living chlorophyll available. Chlorophyll is the basis of all plant life (ie plant blood) and the benefits of drinking 1-2 ounces of wheatgrass juice a day are practically immeasurable. Here is a small list of some of the benefits of drinking wheatgrass juice:
- 15 Pounds of wheatgrass juice is the nutritional equivalent of 350 pounds of other vegetables like carrot, lettuce, celery etc
- Chlorophyll from wheatgrass rebuilds the bloodstream and will help rebuild your blood count. Wheatgrass juice is great to help treat blood disorders of all kinds.
- Wheatgrass is high in oxygen. The brain and body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly oxygenated environment
- Chlorophyll helps purify the liver
- Wheatgrass is high in enzymes and helps improve digestion
- A small amount of wheatgrass juice in the diet helps prevent tooth decay
- Wheatgrass reduces high blood pressure and enhances the capillaries
- Chlorophyll arrests growth and development of unfriendly bacteria. It acts as a detergent in the body and will help reduce body odor.
- Wheatgrass is a superior source of chlorophyll because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man. If grown in organic soil it absorbs 92 of the known 102 minerals from the soil.
The list really goes on and on. Check out the book Wheatgrass, Sprouts, Microgreens and the living food Diet by Living Whole Foods Inc for more information. This book came with the kit I ordered off Amazon.
So now that you know why Wheatgrass is so good for you, how do you grow it? You could always pick up a small tray of it from the grocery store but if you want to start making fresh juice everyday it is much more economical to grow your own. Once you have all the supplies it will only cost a couple of cents per day to grow your own wheatgrass.
I recommend purchasing a Wheatgrass growing kit. I bought mine on Amazon and it includes everything thing you need to get started. You will need a special juicer to juice greens like wheatgrass. The kit I purchased included one.
Step one: Fill a quart size jar with about 1 cup of wheatgrass seeds (also called wheatgrass berries) and fill with water making sure the seeds are covered by several inches of water. Soak the seeds overnight. Pour off the water, rinse and leave to sprout for another 6-10 hours.
Step 2 Spread the soil mixture evenly on the seeding tray about 1 inch thick. Moisten the soil and spread the sprouted seeds over the soil one layer thick
Step 3 Cover the seeds with wet newspaper and set in a cool dark place. Water the newspaper frequently and make sure that it does not dry out
Step 4 When the blades are about 1 inch high (2-3 days) remove the newspaper and expose the grass to light. Water once per day.
Step 5 Harvest when the grass is about 6-8 inches tall. Cut the grass about ½ inch above the soil
Now you are ready to juice!
Wheatgrass juice is best when taken within 6 minutes of juicing. It is recommended to drink 1oz of juice 2 times per day. A 10×21 tray of wheatgrass will yield 10-12 ounces of juice so a tray will last one person about a week.
You can drink wheatgrass straight up as a shot or mix it in with other homemade green smoothies.
For more information I recommend you check out The Wheatgrass Book by Ann Wigmore. She is considered the Godmother of wheatgrass and devoted her life to researching Wheatgrass and its amazing health benefits.